Friday, September 26, 2008

A Little Glimpse Of Michigan

When the kids get out of school later today we are going to take off and go camping again. The hopes are to catch some Salmon although the fishing reports don’t sound very encouraging. Fortunately, I am a firm believer in the theory that a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work. In my mind, the worst that will happen this weekend is we will get away from TV, video games, and the computer and spend time together as a family. With the kids back in school, time with them is limited so this will be a good time.


Although I will admit I am going to miss seeing the debate, if it happens. I must confess though that I am going to Tivo it to watch later.


With this in mind, I decided to do something a little different for my blog today. I think it is a combination of my mind already being off politics and out at the lake and, admittedly, laziness. So I am going to leave you with some images of Michigan that we have taken along the way. Enjoy.



Lake of the Clouds, Porcupine Mountains


Bond Falls, U.P. Michigan - the picture really doesn't do them justice


Grand Hotel on approach to Mackinac Island


The only way to travel on Mckinac Island


Tahquamenom Falls in January


These cliffs are 30 - 40 foot tall


-1 F, -7 F wind chll, 3 layers of clothes, 1/2 mile hike = one great time


12 comments:

Aurora said...

Stunning pics, Chuck. It looks pretty cold there though. Hope you enjoy your time off and come back into the fray refreshed.

Brooke said...

I went to Mackinac (sp?) Island when I was about 13. Very lovely place!

You and yours have fun camping, Chuck!

DD2 aka Debonair Dude said...

Beautiful pictures
But where are the Skyscrapers?

Chuck said...

Aurora, it was cold but the funny things is, it didn't feel it. We were bundled up. We were in the UP for 4 days that weekend and it did not get above zero until the morning we left, it was 2 degrees F.

Brooke, This was my wife's first visit, we snuck up there without the kids. It's a great place, if you get a chance to go again.

DD2, lol. In the entire UP, there is not a city over 20,000 people. The largest city is Marquette at about 19,600. It's heaven. In fact, Tahquamenom Falls is located near Paradise.

cube said...

Great shots. No wonder your mind is on the scenary & not the mind-blowing politics we're currently watching unravel before our eyes.

Yikes!

Who doesn't want to get away.

Mustang said...

Chuck ... what's that white stuff?

MK said...

Have a ball Chuck, salmon ey. Hope you won't be jostling with bears for the fish. :)

Great country that, but you folks can keep all that ice and snow. Damn, that looks cold.

Z said...

Gorgeous, Chuck..I hope you had a wonderful time!!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Beautiful! Makes me want to visit!

Chuck said...

Back in town and we caught exactly zero salmon, they weren't running yet. My son did catch a monster catfish that was over 3 foot but we got it out of the water and lost it trying to net it. It was still a great time.

Mustang, it's snow, they get in the UP from about October to April, we're a little more sane in the Lower penninsula, we only get it from about late November to March.

It was cold MK but you bundle up, we had a great time. It was actually cold enough to be dangerous if your not prepared for it.

Z and Wordsmith, I unashamedly love Michigan. It's a beautiful state. The whole country is beautiful but I'm where I want to be. I even like the snow.

shoprat said...

I haven't been to the UP in over 20 years. Maybe it's time I head that way again.

Anonymous said...

Wow very beautiful in the summer but the picture of the kids dressed as mummies to protect them from the cold (brrrr) reminds me of why I enjoy living in warm climates.

I still remember working up in Michigan years ago and being in a car as we slid off the road in a snow storm. Just before the accident I was telling the driver a Michigan local he seemed to be driving to fast, his response "I know how to drive in the snow".