Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wow, This Was Shocking

In a shocking new development, The Washington Post has come out and said they were biased towards the Obama campaign during the election.

Of course the fact that they were biased is not shocking, we knew that, but to admit it is a surprise. They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step so maybe we can hope they are going to change their ways. Nah.

The story I am speaking of is here. It is an editorial by Deborah Howell, ombudsman of the Post. The very fact that the ombudsman is doing the article is in itself a trick also used by The New York Times. The Times will run an article that is, ahem, factually incorrect, and then later let the ombudsman come out and say that it was inaccurate. The difference is that the original story gets considerably more play than the ombudsman "clarification" does. Further, they let the story run for awhile and then run the ombudsman's article later. This lets the story percolate long enough to become truth in the mind of the reader and the correction is later ignored because people's minds are made up.

Ms. Howell shared with us some statistics that will not surprise anyone and then discussed the specific candidates and how they were covered in the paper and online, here are a couple of the better passages.

But Obama deserved tougher scrutiny than he got, especially of his undergraduate years, his start in Chicago and his relationship with Antoin "Tony" Rezko, who was convicted this year of influence-peddling in Chicago. The Post did nothing on Obama's acknowledged drug use as a teenager.

And:

One gaping hole in coverage involved Joe Biden, Obama's running mate. When Gov. Sarah Palin was nominated for vice president, reporters were booking the next flight to Alaska. Some readers thought The Post went over Palin with a fine-tooth comb and neglected Biden. They are right; it was a serious omission. However, I do not agree with those readers who thought The Post did only hatchet jobs on her. There were several good stories on her, the best on page 1 by Sally Jenkins on how Palin grew up in Alaska.

This is nothing more than the usual press mea culpa that they do on a regular basis. They run articles about their biases occasionally and then go right back to business as usual. It's almost a confessional for them. They seem to have the impression that they can admit they were wrong and that makes everything ok.

The funny thing is, they're right. The analogy is the old caricature of the wife who has the husband that comes home late all of the time from carousing and drinking and then says "baby I'm sorry, I will never do this again". Like the caricature wife, we believe them and all is forgiven until the next time. For a real life example, see Hillary and Bill Clinton.

We know that the reality is most women are not like this, they would throw the bum out and let him sleep at his girlfriends house. So why aren’t we doing the same with the liberal media? Why don't we throw the bums out.

Based on recent earning reports and loss of circulation and revenue of every single liberal news outlet, the public may finally be starting to have enough. It appears that finally there are households all over the country turning off the liberal news media, canceling their newspapers, and not reading the weeklies.

We need to stop letting them getting away with this. Turn off the nightly news on ABC, CBS, or NBC. Don’t watch MSNBC. Refuse to read any newspaper or magazine that does not commit itself to balanced reporting. Anybody that subscribes to The Washington Post, cancel them, I would. They will either change when the economic costs become too great or go out of business. I personally am ok with either one.

9 comments:

shoprat said...

Why weren't they doing this before the election?

Always On Watch said...

The WaPo's bias in favor of Obama was incredibly blatant.

I've also noted that some letters to the editors have reacted negatively to that bias. Furthermore, subscriptions are being canceled at a rapid pace.

Greywolfe said...

Here's my 2 cents worth. The reason they are doing this is so that in the next 4 years, if he completely screws the pooch, they can attack him as the complete ninny that he is, and if anyone says anything about their complete LACK of coverage that might have prevented this, they can recall this admission and say, "See?!?!? We tried to make up for our mistakes." If nothing happens then they can say, "See?!?!? It's all a lot of ado about nothing."

They are hypocrits and they always have been. So, expect the cowards to use CMA (cover my ass) at every opportunity.

Chuck said...

Shoprat, you know as well as I do

AOW, this is what it will take. I personally think we should wage open warfare on the media. I will post as much as I can for what little influence I have. Like I've said before, singly we're small, together were a movement.

Greywolfe, you summed it up.

Greywolfe said...

Ok. So this isn't on your original topic but it fits the title for me pretty damn well. Here's the article on Worldnetdaily.com, " Web faux pas: Plan leaked for 'civilian security force'" and here's my take on it. "Hitler...er...I mean Obama youth program." Give it a looksee and tell me what you think?

Z said...

chuck, I was scanning channels today and stopped at CNN where a pretty Black Republican was talking; I stopped because she's very engaging and I was frankly surprised to see her on CNN. I say 'pretty' because you'll know which one I'm talking about; very young, shortish hair..very articulate.

Anyway...suddenly I realized that there's a Black journalist from the Washington Times AND the Republican head of Romney's campaign...and some CNN employee who SEEMED to be open minded if not a consevative himself....(hold me down!)
I couldn't help wondering HELLO!!? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?
AN ALL REPUBLICAN PANEL WHEN CNN RARELY HAS EVEN 1 REPUBLICAN ON THEIR PANELS?

WELL, WELL.."and the times they are a changin'.." Dare we hope?

MK said...

Yeah, shocking! The media biased, no way, really, i can't believe it, say it ain't so.

How nice of them to admit it after the election, sniveling weasels. This will just continue until some of these so-called journalists are actually punished by the public.

"....the public may finally be starting to have enough."

I don't know about that Chuck, they sure swallowed what the biased media put in front of them prior to the election.

The same thing happened here in Australia. Some say the public are aware, but when it seems to count, the masses swallow whatever is put before them.

Hope you're right though.

Chuck said...

Z, I'm not holding mt breath but I think CNN may be quietly trending moderate. I watch them at work on break because we don't get Fox. They're still quite liberal but I think they me going a little more towards the middle. I think they're tired of Fox eating their lunch.

MK, I'm not sure the entire blame for the Obama election was the media, they definitely share a large portion but not all. Republicnas didn't go out and vote and I think Obama sucked people in with his "middle class" tax cut. A lot of people in the US are convinced that George Bush's tax cuts only went to the wealthy, we call these people idiots. I myself, and trust me I'm not wealthy, got a significant tax cut under BUsh. Most Americans did but the dumbasses buy the Democratic line anyways.

Greywolfe said...

Z and chuck. The CNN thing is the simplest thing to understand on the planet. They had 1 (one) conservative show on. Namely, Glen Beck. Well, in the short time he was on he sent their market share for his time slots through the roof. Now they've lost that to Foxnews. Oops. They killed the goose with golden eggs, so they are trying to recapture it with some knock-off conservative show.