Friday, December 12, 2008

Nothing Creepy About This

I don't want this to appear to be a personal attack of this man in any way because I do not know him. He may be a decent enough man and it is certainly hard to question his intelligence. He's obviously a bright man.

I find this whole thing odd though.

A Canadian man, apparently unable to find the perfect woman, has done the next best thing — he's built himself one.

Le Trung, a 33-year-old software engineer who lives with his parents in Brampton, Ontario, a suburb of Toronto, says he's spent about $20,000 so far on Aiko, a 5-foot-tall female android with clear skin, a slim if shapely figure and a wonderful disposition.

Read rest of story and see photo credit here.

Again, this is not meant to ridicule Mr. Trung. I do find this whole thing weird though and the pose of the robot in the photo speaks for itself.

What I find fascinating is this: apparently unable to find the perfect woman.

First we can dispense with the obvious fantasy of the "perfect woman". No such thing. To give equal time though, one is even less likely to find a perfect man. In fact my wife would probably settle for one that was merely imperfect instead of hopelessly flawed.

The point is, why would you want a "perfect" anything. Imperfections, flaws, quirks, idiosyncrasies, and blemishes are what makes humans interesting.

I think there is an alarming push for perfection in our society.

People send their children to the right pre-school, the right preparatory school, all to make them perfect little adults. Often the result is an arrogant, better-than-others snob.

My wife and I want our children to be successful. We support them in school. We make sure they do their homework. I would be thrilled if they were all pioneering brain surgeons. What I really want though are for them to become adults that are good people with humility and decency towards others. If one of my children grew to be a janitor that worked hard and treated his family well, I would respect him more than if he were a career-first, pompous professional.

We strive for perfection in our looks. Plastic surgery is still a wildly popular option for perfection. What's more, there is an alarming uptick in teenagers having plastic surgery.

Why we cannot teach our children to be satisfied with what they are instead of trying to be something they are not is beyond me. Let them have a little larger than normal nose, or teeth that aren't completely straight, or a chin that is not quite right. I have been bald most of my children's life. I refuse to do anything about it. Why? Because I just don't care. I've always conveyed this to my kids. We joke about my baldness.

We place dangerously thin models in magazines and give our daughters the impression this is attractive and even healthy. What do we get? We have our daughters starving themselves to mimic the models. We even have girls dying for this. That's perfection?

Finally, we abort children that are not perfect. Trig Palin is the obvious example of this. This is the beautiful son of Sarah Palin. Trig has Down's Syndrome. There are those that are absolutely offended that Ms Palin would allow a child like this to be born. A Canadian physicians group went as far as saying that her having Trig and saying it is ok was dangerous. Her being an example of a loving parent of a Down's child could lead to more women choosing to have children with Down's instead of aborting them. We can't have this. I think this attitude borders on evil.

So, while it may be appealing to have a wife who agrees with everything you say, is a gourmet cook, and has flawless skin, I think I'll stick with my real wife for now. Who (in case she reads this) is of course perfect in every way.

8 comments:

Greywolfe said...

oh yeah. I read about these life-like dolls a couple years ago. And they seem to be a big deal in the far east. Talk about birth control.

But here's the thing; HE STILL LIVES WITH HIS PARENTS AT 33!!! At this point his idea of perfect is a woman that will be ok with his mommy making his lunch every day.

But on the other hand, an anatomically correct android that doesn't talk back, sag, or get pissed when you forget birthdays? He might have something there. Good thing my wife doesn't like to read these things...I'd be sleeping on the couch for a month.

Larry T Durham said...

At least she won't mess with the remote control...

cube said...

It is something that will have to be dealt with before too long. Looks like Asimov wasn't too far off with his Foundation series.

Me, I think of these robots as advanced blow-up dolls for rejects who can't interact with real, albeit fallible, females.

Whatever floats your boat, dude.

Myself said...

Loved this blog..
You tell a good story

mksviews said...

"Le Trung, a 33-year-old software engineer who lives with his parents in Brampton...."

That pretty much says it all really. I have a feeling that once the cameras have gone and he's lost his freak-factor, he'll find something wrong with then this one. And it's not a perfect wife Le you silly perv, that's just a fancy blow-up doll of sorts.

"I have been bald most of my children's life. I refuse to do anything about it."

And so you shouldn't Chuck, God made only so many perfect heads, the rest he covered up with hair.

"Her being an example of a loving parent of a Down's child could lead to more women choosing to have children with Down's instead of aborting them. We can't have this. I think this attitude borders on evil."

Moral bankruptcy at its finest eh.

"I think I'll stick with my real wife for now. Who (in case she reads this) is of course perfect in every way."

Wise move Chuck. :)

Chuck said...

Greywolfe, like the still lives with parents part

Larry, she is a remote control

Cube, right on all accounts. We will, as a society have to deal with this eventually.

I can see in 20 years the man-robot love people will be rioting in LA and hurling racial slurs all in the name of man-robot love rights.

Myself, thanks

MK, thanks. The part about my wife is just in case she reads my posts. lol

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

MK, thanks. The part about my wife is just in case she reads my posts. lol

And if she reads that comment, hopefully she'll be laughing right along with you!

shoprat said...

I have seen photos of "woman-surrogates" that costs thousands of dollars and all I can do is wonder why? They are beautiful but their eyes are soulless.

If everyone has sex with virtual partners instead of real ones, then Brave New World is that much closer as children will have to be bred in factories and raised by the state.