Wednesday, February 18, 2009

20 Years Ago Today

Ever have one of those days when you wake up and you just know your forgetting something? I don't work today so that's not it. I checked my work e-mail, no meetings scheduled. Checked our home calender, no doctor's appointments.

February 18th.

February 18th?

Something.

Something.

Seems like it's something important.

February 18th.

Oops, it's my anniversary.

Actually just kidding (in case my wife sees this post), I knew all along it was today.

There is actually kind of a funny story behind this. When we were planning the wedding I for some reason had it stuck in my head that the date was the 22nd and I kept telling everyone this. I mean everyone. Guests, wedding party, everyone. Luckily my wife was around to give people the right date, we would have had a very small wedding.

Seriously though, 20 years ago today I married Brenda, my best friend.

We have since added 3 usually okay kids to the mix, Chuck Thinks Jr, Michael Thinks, and Emily Thinks.

We've had a good time.

We have had some rough times also. Especially when I decided to quit my stable job and go to nursing school.

We had the two boys then, Emily was born the year I graduated, and we starved for the next 4 years while I worked part time and went to school full time. Somehow Brenda managed to make the money work and we actually made our house payments. I realize with it being vogue to let the government pay your house payment now this seems quaint, but call us rebels. The point is Brenda, not me, made it work somehow.

Through it all we stuck with each other. How she has put up with me I do not know. She told me the other night that she would have thought that after 20 years I would have matured a little. I told her that if it hasn't happened in the first 20 years, don't expect much in the next 20.

So with that, I am going to be absent today. I have the day off of work and we are spending the day together. First we are going to lunch and then we are going to come home and do what any couple married that long would do, take a nap before the kids get home.

I leave you with a little music. The first video is of The Platters singing Only You. This was our wedding song. In case anyone is trying to do the math, this song was already about 30 years old when we got married. Always determined to be different, we chose old songs for our wedding.

The second video was a part of our bridal dance and needs a little editorial note. We actually used the original version of Unforgettable by Nat King Cole but I could not find a clip I liked. Also, as much as I liked the original, I think I like this remake with his daughter Natalie a little better. She has a great voice and they sound good together.

So enjoy the music and see you around, I'm spending the day with my best friend.

Chuck




22 comments:

mksviews said...

Congratulations guys, wow, 20 years! May the next 20 be just as good to both of you.

DaBlade said...

Happy happy to all of you! Enjoy the day!

Bags said...

Congratulationas and have an absolutely wonderful day!

DD2 aka Debonair Dude said...

February 18th?

Something.
Seems like it's something important.

Oh yes!..I remember.

I got married

DD2 aka Debonair Dude said...

Congats to us both...

kevin said...

Congratulations! Nice music btw.

In one of my favorite episodes of Fawlty Towers, the main character pretends to forget his anniversary in order to surprise his wife with a big party. You can guess how that goes ;)

If you've never seen the show, it's a 70's BBC sitcom that features John Cleese of Monty Python fame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buyAKTvJjL0

To Be An American said...

great going, there arn't too many people that can say that these days.

Loren Christie said...

aW! Good job Chuck! Just came from Brenda's page. I hope you both have a wonderful anniversary! Wow, 20 years, and I thought this year being 10 for the Milk Man and I was a big deal. Your family is sweet! -Loren in NY

Loren Christie said...

P.S. Your blog is speaking my language, Chuck. I like it.

shoprat said...

Happy anniversary.

Leslie said...

Aw 20 years! Great. Have a wonderful day together!!!

Marrying your best friend is the greatest, isn't? I did it too, ten years ago. :)

Eat Your Okra said...

Happy Anniversary! You're both lucky to have one another!

cube said...

Congratulations to you and Mrs. Chuck.

Looks like we got the jump on you two. This year will be 27 years for us.

Chuck said...

Thanks everyone. We are having a good day and your well wishes mean a lot.

American, thanks for stopping by

Loren, glad you stopped by, your welcome back

Okra, at the least you can say we deserve each other :)

Cube, 27 years, good for you.

Chuckles said...

Happy Anniversary. From Chuck Thinks Jr. ;-P

Larry T. Durham said...

...now if she can just put up with you another twenty ; )

Congrats!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Happy Anniversary to you!!! I pray God blesses you with many more years together. Enjoy the nap.

Brooke said...

Happy Anniversary to you both, Chuck and Mrs.!!!

Mia Cronan said...

Congratulations, Chuck and Brenda! May you have 20 more wonderful years. You deserve them.

Chuck said...

Brooke, thanks

Mia, I'm not sure anyone deserves Brenda, I think after 20 years I've done my time :)

Tina Hemond said...

Happy Anniversary Chuck, what a tribute! Congratulations to both you and your wife!

Chuck said...

Thanks Tina, we actually had no kids this weekend so we got to go on a date. Movie and the Outback, good times.