Friday, February 27, 2009

Not A Good Idea For Dems

We see groups pop up all of the time that are going to change the political landscape. More often than not they fizzle out before they even really get started.

If I were a Democrat, that is if we slid into some weird alternate universe, I may actually be concerned about this story. Bloggers and unions form group to push Democrats to the left.

The article is about a PAC being started by liberal bloggers, unions, and liberal organizations. Some of the members are The DailyKos, MoveOn.org, and the Service Employees International Union. These are some heavy hitters.

So what is the goal of this new group? To recruit candidates that are more liberal than current Congressional members to mount challenges in the 2010 congressional primaries. Evidently they are concerned that our current crop of Democratic Representatives and Senators are not liberal enough. I'm afraid to see someone more liberal than Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Harry Reid, or Barbara Boxer. Who's to the left of them, Cynthia McKinney and Cindy Sheehan?

Now I am not, as a Republican real concerned about this group. In fact, I not only wish them well, I'm thinking about donating to their cause. This is a bad idea for the Dems though.

Primaries are voted on by members of the party. It is often easy for a more extreme candidate, with the right funding, to win a primary. There are fewer people voting, they are all at least marginally supportive of the more extreme ideas, and primaries are often made up of people more strongly aligned with the bedrock principles of the party.

The problem is that these candidates will get beaten in the general election more often than not, especially if they are running against a more centrist candidate from the other party.

The most important part of this group is that it is made up of some heavy hitters. These member organizations bring a lot of money and influence to this undertaking.

If I were a Dem I would not be happy with this.

As a Republican, I'm thrilled.

11 comments:

Loves To Debate said...

I say, give them enough rope!

Pistolmom said...

Please check this out:
www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com

Always On Watch said...

The problem is that these candidates will get beaten in the general election more often than not, especially if they are running against a more centrist candidate from the other party.

I hope you're right. I really hope you're right!

I'm seeing an awful lot of normally intelligent individuals all swept up in and enthralled with the leftism we see taking away America as we know it.

Always On Watch said...

Addendum: Even conservatives are seeming to accept the idea of nationalization of our banks.

cube said...

I hope you're right but I'm not so sure the ultra liberal candidates won't get elected. I never expected BO to win either.

Flavor Country said...

Well Chuck as the one left-leaning person, I would hate see any person in office that is in one direction to far either way right or left.

They become too partisan and only stick to party lines no matter what their true feelings are. Everybody scared now to break with their parties now.

I just want to get some elected officals that have a freakin backbone and care less what the party is doing and do what is right for the people they represent.

I can't stand Pelosi and Reid either, I can't wait to get them out of office

My Blog said...

what Loves to debate said!

Papa Frank said...

" I'm afraid to see someone more liberal than Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Harry Reid, or Barbara Boxer. Who's to the left of them, Cynthia McKinney and Cindy Sheehan?"

More like Andy Dick and Jane Fonda.

Chuck said...

Debate, welcome and thanks for stopping by. We could even spring or a new one

Pistolmom, welcome.

AOW, with some of the conservatives we have, the far left may that be that far away anymore

Cube, I think BO was an accidental president, a product of the times and a bad campaign by McCain.

Flavor, agreed. I wouldn't want to see an ultra-conservative group do this either. I'm not saying you have to sell your soul or forget your principles but this is not the way to win elections.

My blog, welcome and agreed.

PF, good point

Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

Ditto. We couldn't ask for anything better. Let them entertain us.

mksviews said...

i hope you're right and that they might not be electable by the electorate, but we're assuming the electorate hasn't shuffled over to the left.

I'm not so sure they haven't.