Sunday, February 15, 2009

Quote Of The Week

House Republican minority leader John Boehner, who has led the GOP into minority status in the House of Representatives came out on Friday and gave a speech condemning the stimulus bill.

I don't mean to sound as if I am attacking Mr. Boehner, he appears to be a good person and has good conservative credentials. What I do take exception with is that he, along with the rest of the Republican leadership of Congress and the leadership of the Republican National Committee, have sat passively sat by for the last several years and let the media and the Democrats define the GOP.

Mr Boehner has to take personal responsibility as one of the people that has cost the GOP control of Congress. While I have no personal animus towards Mr. Boehner, it was my sincere hope after the 2008 Congressional elections that they would have a shakeup in the leadership and bring in new blood.

Anyways, back to the quote. As I said, Mr. Boehner was speaking out against the stimulus package when he said this.

But a bill that was supposed to be about jobs, jobs, jobs has turned into a bill that is all about spending, spending and spending.

For his nice summation of this spending bill run amok, I thank Mr. Boehner and say welcome to the party.

9 comments:

Greywolfe said...

ditto on all of the above. Better late for him than never.

Leslie said...

What the Republicans need to do now is get on the T.V, the news, the radio and any media that will allow them to actually make use of their First Amendment rights and show us that they have some fight in them.

They need to go to the public and tell every one what bills are coming up for vote and why they will or will not be voting for them. LET THE PEOPLE KNOW what is being hidden in legislation. Get on You Tube, send out letters to voters...whatever...but start fighting back. Then maybe they will regain respect and the people will know that they have someone fighting for their rights.

I saw Boehner give some of this speech. The best part was when he talked about getting the 1100 page thing at midnight and was expected to read 1100 pages before the said vote. Then, in a spark of gumption (which I applauded) he took the massive pile of pork papers and threw them on the floor.

:D That was great. Now, where are the rest of you formerly spineless conservatives? Get up and fight.

M.A. said...

I cannot believe that more is not being made about members of Congress voting on this without reading it. I saw an article that said almost no one completely read through the bill.

Republicans were not given time to read it, and Democrats are voting on principle whether they took the time to read it or not.

I understand a "NO" vote as a result of not being given the time to examine the bill. However, I just don't understand how anyone in Congress can get away with voting "YES" on a bill of this magnitude WITHOUT READING IT.

Leslie said...

I hope this is ok, Chuck, I am giving the link to the clip I was talking about. If it isn't ok,I won't be offended if you delete this comment. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvnwOjDjnH4

Always On Watch said...

The GOP, the party of big spending the last several years, is really in a bind criticizing the stimulus bill.

Not that these Republicans are wrong, of course.

But they've screwed up so badly as to have lost credibility. As a pointed out here, they also have not used the media effectively.

Can Michael Steele help to bring back the GOP? Maybe. I hope so. But I admit that I'm having doubts -- unless some kind of as-yet-unknown event happens to change the bad taste the GOP has left in many mouths, including those of staunch Republicans.

I'm glad that M.A. brought up the rush-it-through aspect. Just who on Capitol Hill has read the bill in full, anyway?

Chuck said...

Greywolfe, agreed. About time one of these guys grew a pair.

Leslie, I have been saying this for a long time. In fact I have Boehner's blog on my blogroll and posted one day and politely ripped him and the rest of the GOP leadership a new one for being so passive and letting the left define them. I told him and the rest of the leadership were responsible for losing the majority.

As far as the clip, feel free and thank you, I should have embedded the video myself.

MA, sadly this is SOP for Congress. They never know what is in the bills they are voting on.

AOW, I Michael Steele may be able to accomplish it. He is quite a speaker and is off to a good start.

Brooke said...

As an Ohioan, I can say that Boehner has been a decent rep, but a kick in the pants seems to be what he needed.

Chuck said...

I don't have a big issue with most of the GOP Reps or Senators, they're just not fighting for themselves. My Rep is a Republican and a good man in a safe district, you never see him out leading the charge.

mksviews said...

Spending and more spending eh, and to think the democrats were screaming about the national debt, funny how things change so quickly eh.