Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Is This The Most Horrible Thing Ever?

As a parent of 3 kids, I can't imagine walking into one of my children's bedroom and finding them dead. This is a horror without equal and my heart goes out to anyone who ever has to suffer this fate.

This family in the UK had to go one level deeper into Hell:

School Warns Parents Dead Daughter Can't Go to Prom

The parents of a British teen, who died suddenly two months ago, received a disturbing letter from the girl's high school saying she needs to improve her attendance or can't go to the prom, the Manchester Evening News reported.

The letter said Megan Gillan's attendance was 60.4 percent and the school requires its students to keep a 92 percent attendance record.

"I screamed when I first saw it," her mother Margaret Gillan told the newspaper. If they want her to attend that much I'll take Megan's remains. It's disgusting."

Gillan was found dead Jan. 19 in her bedroom at her parent's home. The letter was dated March 16.

"Megan would have loved going to the prom," her mother said. "She planned to go with a group of friends, she was really looking forward to it."

A school spokesman apologized and told the Manchester Evening News, "that letter should not have gone out," and blamed it on a "software error."


I realize this is a computer error but this is the kind of error that an organization is not allowed to make. I work in a profession in which mistakes are huge. I have always been of a mind that someone that allows a mistake on this scale needs to lose their job. I stand by this now.

I offer my deepest sympathies to the family of Megan Gillan, both for the horror of losing a child and the horror of dealing with idiotic bureaucrats.

10 comments:

Flavor Country said...

Yeah I read this story early morning, and I could not imagine getting something like that in the mail.

The school should have immediately pulled her info out of the system so something like this would not have happened.

My heart goes out to them also. What was strange was that it was never said what her cause of death was. I thought that was a little odd.

shoprat said...

Inexcusable.

Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

What the heck is so hard about a school official picking up the phone and making a personal call to a family whose child hasn't been in school for two months?

This is a perfect example of who the digital age is taking over our lives.

Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

Leslie said...

I think that is absolutely awful! I agree, her file could have been pulled out of the system, condolences could have been sent to the family, AND someone should have noticed before 2 months that the child was not in school.

"This is a perfect example of who the digital age is taking over our lives.

Just because we can doesn't mean we should." PCC

That is an excellent point and another big topic. The computer age, though some of it is good, has made us lazy and less compassionate.

Chuck said...

Flavor, I did notice that they didn't mention cause of death. There are not many ways a 16 year old can die suddenly. Horrible either way

Shoprat, agreed

PCC and Leslie, that is one my initial thoughts. The digital age has brought wonders but taking humanity out of life is a real danger. I fight with this everyday at work, trying to get my nurses to look at the patient instead of relying on equipment.

Brooke said...

Absolutely atrocious! Does no one proof read things before they go out?!?

I swear, the cops would be dragging me out of that school's office...

Z said...

That is AWFUL! Imagine not checking on something like that before sending it?

Talk about REALLY AWFUL, I know a woman who's very close with the grandparents of 5 of the kids killed in the Montana crash last week. They lost two of their daughters and ALL of their grandchildren in that accident. Please pray for these great people.

Larry T. Durham said...

The Kingdom is officialy circling the bowl.

Chuck said...

Brooke, I'm with you. I would not take it well

Z, they are in our thoughts

Larry, it's sad

mksviews said...

Yeah blame the software, when we all know it's some paper-pushing scumbag who is responsible and most like won't be punished.