Saturday, May 23, 2009

Teach 'Em While They're Young

Gay Curriculum Proposal Riles Elementary School Parents

The parents from the Unified School District in Alameda, a suburb of San Francisco and Oakland, say these issues are best learned at home and most definitely are not age-appropriate for elementary school children.

The parents are also angry that they will not be allowed to keep their children out of the classes.

“I believe these children are far too young to be learning about what these issues mean,” said Alaina Stewart, who has three children who attend elementary school in Alameda. “These are adult issues and they are being thrust upon the children.”

But the school board says otherwise, and its attorneys say that if the curriculum is adopted, the parents will have no legal right to remove their children from class when the lessons are being taught.

"By not allowing kids to opt out," says David Kirwin, who has two children in the system, "the school district is violating a First Amendment right for those who have a religion that doesn't support homosexuality."

The proposed curriculum will include a 45-minute LGBT lesson, once a year from kindergarten through fifth grade. The kindergartners will focus on the harms of teasing, while the fifth graders will study sexual orientation stereotypes.

The move toward the new curriculum began two years ago, when teachers noticed that even kindergarten students were using derogatory words about sexuality, such as “fag.”

“Students reported feeling bullied,” said Kirsten Vital, superintendent of the Alameda Unified School District. “This work is in response to teachers asking for tools to combat name-calling and bullying at school.”


Continue reading

I think the first thought that comes to mind is that they need to send Perez Hilton through the course, maybe he'll learn not to use the word "Bitch" towards other people.

I'm not wasting any time on schools pushing their own agenda, this is not even close to new.

The thing that surprises me is that the parents cannot opt their kids out of the class. In Michigan we have a state law that we can ask our kids set out curricula we find objectionable. That and the fact that it would be amusing to see them stop me from keeping my kid out.

8 comments:

Bryan said...

The militant homosexual movement has made great inroads to the young and innocent. Parents must be tireless watchmen upon the wall of protection for their children.

Chuck said, "The thing that surprises me is that the parents cannot opt their kids out of the class. In Michigan we have a state law that we can ask our kids set out curricula we find objectionable. That and the fact that it would be amusing to see them stop me from keeping my kid out."

LOL and way to go. By the way, would that include going to the school dressed in a ninja outfit?

P.S. I linked to your post (Thoughts On This) in my current post about another police altercation video I saw today.

Flavor Country said...

I am by no means a gay hater or some person who wants to suppress them, but this goes over the line.

These kids don't even know what the term "Fag" actually means. They don't know what love, sex or relationships even entail.....there kids!

I will teach my child about sexual issues myself, I don't need some school telling my kids about it.

Believe me my Son would not be anywhere near that school.

Always On Watch said...

the parents cannot opt their kids out of the classThat IS a surprise. A first? I think so.

But if that kind of not opting out continues in California, the same will happen all over the United States in about five years.

Leslie said...

This is one of the many reasons that disgust me about the public school system...believe me, I have an entire list.

Chuck said...

Bryan, welcome. It's indoctrination, pure and simple. Thanks for the link, I'll stop by and check it out.

Flavor, my biggest issue is the age. I don't have as much of a problem talking about it when they are considerably older, as long as it is done right. I don't think they should be talking about sex of any kind at this age beyond the unfortuantely necessary "good touch, bad touch" talk. Your right, this is for the parents to cover.

AOW, this law is pretty well accepted in Michigan. I haven't heard of any serious attempt to overturn it.

Leslie, I agree. We are fortunate in that we have a good and pretty level headed school system for our kids but we used to live in the city and it was more PC teaching than the 3 Rs.

mksviews said...

Pretty soon they're going to start a 'hands-on' approach to education in these matters folks, just you watch.

Call a muslim, get them to make some threats and watch as the school board loses bladder control. Such leftist scum don't care about your beliefs, it's only their own perversions that they want to choke down your children's throats.

Chuck said...

MK, it's just tolerance, American style.

shoprat said...

It will reach the point when there will be a backlash and they won't like it when it happens.