Friday, September 11, 2009

My Personal Experience With 9/11


I visited Shanksville, PA with my wife and kids this summer on a trip to Pittsburgh. I wrote a brief blog about it and said I would write another one later. I have not.

The main reason for this is that it was an experience that was quite emotional and personal for me and I do not feel like sharing it. So I have not written on it since.

I still do not want to talk about the thoughts and feelings I had that day but today's anniversary of the tragedy obviously took me back to Shanksville.

Standing at the temporary exhibit and looking out over the field where the plane crashed is almost overwhelming.



People leave momentos, cards, etc to share their thoughts. My daughter was moved by this and wanted to leave something. An adult may look at her leaving a handwritten note as a simple gesture but I believe for her it was from the heart and helped her deal with the tragedy that took place there. As adults we are able to deal with these events, maybe not understand them but deal with them. Children look at this differently and are unable to put this into terms that they can understand. Leaving the note was her way of helping the victims and herself and was one of the most emotional parts of the visit.

I do recommend any that make into the area to stop and visit. It is not a joyful or pleasant visit but it does help a little with coming to grips with what happened, at least it did for me.

Never forget the events of that day and never forget the innocent lives that were taken by these monsters. May the families of the victims find peace eventually and may the bastards that did this rot in Hell forever.

8 comments:

HoosierArmyMom said...

"...may the bastards that did this rot in Hell forever".

Well said Chuck, especially to bit above! God Bless all who lost their lives on this day 8 years ago.

Chuck said...

Hoosier, agreed

MK said...

Well said Chuck, we will not forget them and we will pray for them. May they rest in peace.

An American that cares! said...

Very well said.. Thank you..
Excellent blog, please keep up the fight, we must NOT let the lefties get their way.

DaBlade said...

Chuck- I was listening to the Alan Jackson video found at this link from Zs as I read your post here. You captured a lot of emotion with this post. Nicely done sir.

LASunsett said...

//Never forget the events of that day and never forget the innocent lives that were taken by these monsters. May the families of the victims find peace eventually and may the bastards that did this rot in Hell forever.//

I echo these sentiments, in as much as I can. But I am equally disturbed by the bastards who, like Charlie Sheen, think the government was behind it.

Chuck said...

Thanks MK

American, welcome and thanks for the comment

DaBlade, thank you

LA, agreed, Sheen is simply a whackjob

Always On Watch said...

it was an experience that was quite emotional and personal for me and I do not feel like sharing it

Having visited there myself a few years back, I completely understand.

The site is special -- sacred, even.

The miracle of that plane coming down with nobody injured or killed on the ground is a miracle, IMO.

On 9/11, I drank my many cups of coffee from a Shanksville 9/11 mug. Never forget!