Monday, November 2, 2009

What Do You Think About This?

Lieberman Marching Further Right in 2010

Sounding more like an independent than a Democrat, Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., tells ABC News he will campaign for some Republican candidates during the 2010 midterm elections and may not seek the Democratic Senate nomination when he runs for re-election in 2012.

I probably will support some Republican candidates for Congress or Senate in the election in 2010. I'm going to call them as I see them," Lieberman said in an ABC News "Subway Series" interview aboard the U.S. Capitol Subway System.


Continue reading

So what are your thoughts about this?

As you all remember, Joe Lieberman was Al Gore's running mate in 2000. While he has always been fairly independent, he has been a loyal Democrat.

This is not a small thing. Lieberman can have significant leverage in the Senate in 2011 depending on how the 20101 elections swing. Why the change?

Is it still hard feelings about the 2006 Senate election in which the Democratic leadership actively undermined him in the primary and supported another candidate, Ned Lamont, who went on to beat him. (in the primary, Lieberman won the general election as an Independent)

Is it that the Democratic party has lurched so far to the left that the centrist Lieberman could not follow?

Or is it that Lieberman can read the writing on the wall? Does he think the GOP will retake the Senate in 2010 and he is positioning himself for a place in a Republican run Senate?

What are your thoughts.

11 comments:

Karen Howes said...

Hey Chuck!

I've always liked Joe Lieberman. I think he should just stop pretending to be a Democrat and be an Independent or even... GASP-- a Republican! He can be the anti-Specter. :-P

shoprat said...

It's hard to say really. I don't agree with him on a lot of things but I do recognize that he is a rarity - - a politician with principles.

Chuck said...

Karen, thanks for stopping by. I was thinking of Specter when I read this. I think if he were not in Connecticut he would. I think he would have a hard time with re-election there as a GOPer. Maybe after the next election though...

Chuck said...

Shoprat, you were posting the same time as I was. Glad to see your back on line.

I agree. I don't always see eye to eye with him but I do respect him. He was one of the few voices of reason on the left with Bush's war on terror.

DaBlade said...

I think it's the former, that the democrat party has lurched way too far left for his senses. Political maneuvering wouldn't explain his pro-McCain speech at the convention.

Chuck said...

DaBlade, I considered that as one of the more likely scenarios

Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

When he was Al Gore's running mate, Joe Lieberman's own party attacked him relentlessly.

nanc said...

I believe the izzies will have a tizzie if we EVAR elect a jewish potus! God bless Lieberman.

MK said...

"Is it that the Democratic party has lurched so far to the left that the centrist Lieberman could not follow?"

That is definitely true, that they've lurched to the left. It'd be nice of the GOP would follow Liberman away from the left.

Always On Watch said...

No question that Lieberman is a consummate politician.

That said, he has a lot more principles than the typical politician. He could even be a stateman in the making.

Chuck said...

PCC, he has not been treated well by the Dems, except when they need him

Nanc, I thought of this when he ran as the Veep

MK, agreed. Unfortunately, the GOP has lurched to the left too.

AOW, he would have been a good choice for SOS IMHO