Wednesday, December 16, 2009

One Of My Favorite Commercials Ever

This is great. Tough hockey player, bloodied and bruised, taking time out to sing "itsy bitsy spider" to his daughter.

This reminds of a man who had a child in the same school as my boys when they were younger. My boys, when they were small, went to an inner city school. There was a real problem with parental involvement at this school. It was sad.

We had a man who was a young parent, I'm guessing maybe 20 years old? He always dressed in hip-hop clothes, had multiple tattoos, had multiple piercings, etc. He was the kind of guy that you would look at and automatically assume "loser".

This man was at the school every day when it let out picking up his son. He was not only there, he was "there". Him and his son would walk off talking animatedly about what the kid did in school, looking at his son's school work as they walked away. You could tell he was proud of his son and conveyed it to him.

My wife and I would talk about this and were always impressed with him.

He very well may have been a loser. He may still be. In my mind though, he appeared to be more of a parent than most other parents in the school.

I think the moral here is, as in the commercial, do not judge a book by it's cover.

Values.com produced this commercial along with many more great ones. Visit them at Values.com, The Foundation For A Better Life.

9 comments:

Randy said...

Good post and good commercial...

However, these commercials always make me wonder about the source. Is it jehovah's witness or Mormon? I sometimes question the motivation.

Brooke said...

Sometimes, a child makes a huge impact in a person's life. That guy might have been one of those people.

Chuck said...

Randy, I agree. I looked at the site. I think it's on the up and up

Brooke, I think the girl is his daughter?

Nikki said...

This is really cute! A nice change from the ranting and raving...at least on my end hahahaha! :)N

Randy said...

In looking through their website, I saw some billboards that I think I've seen on the highway.

I found an FAQ on their website. According to them:

A: The Foundation is a non-profit 501©(3) organization, started in 2000. We are privately funded and non-commercial. Our sole objective is to promote positive values, using print and broadcast media.

A: The Foundation for a Better Life is not affiliated with any religion. We hope the values we share transcend any particular religion or nationality.

A: We have a sister foundation, The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation. It is also privately funded by the same source. The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation is the only organization with which we are affiliated.

Chuck said...

Nikki, thanks

Randy, yeah, I saw all of that. I think they actually may be simply a good organization. Go figure in today's atmosphere.

cube said...

Having children is certainly something that will rock your world. It makes some people grow up.

Chuck said...

Cube,

It makes some people grow up

I wouldn't go that far ;)

DaBlade said...

I always liked Stu Grimson, especially when he played for the Red Wings. But then, ME LIKE HOCKEY!