Friday, December 25, 2009

Remember Those Who Cannot Be Home This Christmas

I have to work this year on Christmas Eve and Christmas. I work 7:00 am to 7:00 pm so we get up early so we can have our Christmas before I go to work. My kids have grown up with my nontraditional schedule and are real good sports about it.

I of course was feeling sorry for myself and feeling bad for the kids the other day when a thought occurred to me - there are men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan and everywhere else the military sends them to protect us here at home.



Photo credit

I get to come home at the end of the day, me and the kids and my wife get to spend my days off during their school break together, I have nothing to complain about.

So this year let's remember the young men and women who don't get to come home for Christmas, the ones who never will again, and, most importantly, those at home spending Christmas without them.

Merry Christmas everyone from the Chuckthinks family

12 comments:

Tina Hemond said...

Merry Christmas, Chuck, and wishing you a healthy and happy New Year.

cube said...

Good post. I forget to count my blessings sometimes. It's humbling when I think of the sacrifices our troops make all year round, but especially at this time of year.

Merry Christmas to you and Brenda Jean and the kids. Hope 2010 brings you peace and joy.

shoprat said...

I will remember them and pray for them.

I too have to work today but it will still be a Merry Christmas.

Hope yours is as well.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks for the reminder, Chuck!

Merry Christmas!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Chuck, great post. We seem to get so wrapped up in our own lives that we take our freedom and its cost for granted.
I hope you and your family have a very blessed day and new year. Thank you too for being "on the job" today for those who may be needing you.

Chuck said...

Thanks all.

I actually got lucky and was able to get the day off. ERs are typically slow on Christmas and we cut staff. I was able to spend the day with my family.

We do need to remember those who cannot be home today.

Merry Christmas to all

AirmanMom said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
~AM

Always On Watch said...

Mr. AOW had worked nearly every Christmas Eve and even some Christmas Days until this year.

We know how it is to upend the traditional schedule. Others who've never had to work holidays don't know how difficult it is to be away from friends and family on the holidays.

We must remember our military, who are celebrating Christmas away from their families.

DaBlade said...

Our president may take them for granted, but we should always remember and thank our troops for their sacrifices for our benefit. Glad you got more time with the family. Awesome!

Khaki Elephant said...

Well said.
I hope your Christmas was merry and your New Year delivers on the pormise of hope!

Brooke said...

Cool, I'm glad you got to go home!

You are absolutely right about remembering our men and women overseas this Christmas.

My brother is in the Army, but is stateside and was able to get enough leave to come home, and of course we civilians get to enjoy our families. We should be very grateful to those who are willing to sacrifice that to keep us safe.

Chuck said...

AM, thanks and thanks for what you do everyday

AOW, it is hard. I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice. If maybe I put my career choice ahead of my family but ultimately someone has to do it. I'm just glad my wife and family are so good about it.

DaBlade, be fair, he went to Hawaii to honor the troops. Or something like that...

Brooke, agreed