Friday, February 26, 2010

How Do You Feel About This?

After Canadian Gold, Beer and Cigars on the Ice



VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The women of the Canadian hockey team politely accepted their gold medals and waved to an adoring crowd. And then the real celebration began.

More than half an hour after they beat the United States 2-0 on Thursday, the players came back from the locker room and staged a party on ice -- swigging from bottles of champagne, guzzling beer and smoking cigars.

In a sport that Canada invented, there was never an option besides gold, and with it finally in hand, the home team let loose.

Meghan Agosta and Marie-Philip Poulin posed wearing goofy grins. Rebecca Johnston actually tried to drive the ice-resurfacing machine. Haley Irwin poured champagne into the mouth of Tessa Bonhomme, gold medals swinging from both their necks.

The celebration raised eyebrows at the IOC, which said it would look into the matter. Informed of the antics by The Associated Press, Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games, said it was "not what we want to see."

"I don't think it's a good promotion of sport values," he said. "If they celebrate in the changing room, that's one thing, but not in public. We will investigate what happened."

Continue reading

Personally I don't have a problem with it. It's Canada, it's hockey, anymore questions?

I think this is a case of the IOC needing to lighten up a bit.

Finally, keep in mind this is the same IOC that tolerates communist countries effectively abusing their athletes, Muslim athletes refusing to compete with Israeli athletes, and Muslim countries blatantly discriminating against it's female athletes. They want to investigate a hockey team drinking beer?

I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are.

19 comments:

Miss T.C. Shore said...

Tell the IOC to "take off, eh." While I personally wouldn't celebrate with beer or cigars, these gals won the gold. The game was over. There was no gloating or taunting. Merely celebrating an achievement of a lifetime. Let the celebrate. Let it go.

Chuck said...

TC, that's what I say. Let them have fun

Z said...

I didn't like it...if you're going to do it,don't drink underage ....and CIGARS?
have fun, do all of that in private...thus spake the priggish Z!

Always On Watch said...

As a teacher, I do have a problem with this behavior as it sets a poor example for my high-school hockey fans.

Chuck said...

Z and AOW, I can't necessarily disagree with either of you but I'm still okay with it.

-They did not really do this in front of the fans, it was over a half hour after the game was over and the article made it sound as if a lot of the people had left.

-It does not appear they acted up on the medal stand or disrespected their flag or national anthem.

-As far as setting an example, I do agree. If this is going to be the standard though, why isn't there more outrage about the way pros act? These girls were tame compared to their pro counterparts.

I think they did push it a little and the underage drinking is more an issue for the local authorities and the Canadian OC or maybe their parents.

I still think though that it was meant in good fun and I still think the IOC is showing incredibly select outrage here.

shoprat said...

It's all politics. Canada is too much like America (which shows how crazy these people are.) Let em celebrate and hope they don't develop this as a habit.

Anonymous said...

At least their celebration didn't include the black power salute or other communist behavior. Nor did they show everyone their breasts, as the people in New Orleans are wont to do. And they didn't kidnap and murder Jewish athletes. In this context, their celebration was quite sedate.

Besides, no woman on earth has as much testosterone as Canadian women —ergo, cigar chomping and beer guzzling.

S/F

cube said...

I'm OK with it too. I'm much more concerned with political stunts than the athletes occasionally letting off a little steam.

Ticker said...

Some shots of tequila to go along with their celebration and they'd been ready to shoot out the lights.

Leave them alone and let em celebrate.

Chuck said...

Shoprat, agreed. I don't know if this should become the norm but a little craziness is okay occasionally

S/F,

Besides, no woman on earth has as much testosterone as Canadian women —ergo, cigar chomping and beer guzzling.

Funny. Maybe the Ukrainians?

Cube, agreed. No black power salutes, etc as S/F said

Ticker, I think it was all in fun

LASunsett said...

Once upon a time, when I was much younger, these were my kind of women.

Chuck said...

LA, they still are mine. They're just not my wife's type of women.

Anonymous said...

You see what's happening here?

No matter where Sunset goes, he causes marital problems.

Mustang out

Z said...

see? you can't be 'right' ALL the time!!

JUST KIDDDDDING!!! (seriously, kidding!) xxx heh

M.A. said...

I agree, let them celebrate. They just won a gold medal in the Olympics on their home soil. I don't want to see this after every victory, but this was a big deal.

M.A. said...

I just saw Z's and AOW's comments and, although I think the players should be able to celebrate, they make some good points.

If the players are underage, they should not be drinking. And, yes, there are classier ways to celebrate.

Chuck said...

Z, Brenda would say never.

MA, I agree on all points. Z and AOW made good points but it is a home ice victory and they did do it after the stands had largely emptied. I agree, I would not want to see it become tradition but it was a special occasion.

MK said...

"They want to investigate a hockey team drinking beer?"

As easier target to push around you see, the cowards at the IOC know perfectly well what will happen if they dare to push a China or muslims around. They'll get their asses whipped good and proper.

Chuck said...

I don't know MK, I'm almost more afraid of a Canadian women's hockey player