Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thoughts On This?

Obama Denies Individual Aid for Storm Relief

President Barack Obama has denied aid to individuals affected by March’s massive storms and Gov. M. Jodi Rell said she plans to file a formal appeal.

The decision comes just days after Obama approved the state’s request for a “major disaster declaration,” which provides financial help to state and municipal governments in Fairfield, Middlesex and New London counties.

Storms plagues the state, especially these counties from March 12 to 14 and from March 29 to 31.

Rell was looking for help for homeowners, renters and employers.

“The storms that battered our state last month left a trail of astonishing devastation in their wake – crushed cars, homes struck by trees, week-long power outages and staggering flooding,” Rell said. “People and businesses all across Connecticut were left with millions of dollars in damage. They need help.


I don't want to minimize what happened to them but should the rest of us pay for it? I have no doubt they are having a bad time and many likely lost their homes but why is this the responsibility of the rest of the country?

I have said since Katrina that this would be the result of the media and the rest of the left attacking Bush. Once we were held responsible for the rebuilding of Katrina how can you tell another state no?

Give me your thoughts.

9 comments:

MK said...

Funny how liberals were screaming mass murder and racism at Bush over Katrina. It was all the fault of the cold, uncaring Bush.

But when zero does worse, not a peep from those lickspittles.

Brooke said...

I think that repairing infrastructure should be aided by the Fed, but let everyone else purchase insurance.

That said, had Bush denied aid after Katrina he would have been all kinds of a racist, hell, he was accused of it anyway!

But let Obama deny aid to areas with a large white population and nary a peep from the celebs and midstream media.

I do find it rather funny that he's denied help to a blue state, though!

Z said...

"Once we were held responsible for the rebuilding of Katrina how can you tell another state no?"
I give up.

I hate to say I think Brooke's right on COLOR...sickening to have to even suggest that about a sitting president but the indications can't be denied.

Lana said...

My house in CO sustained severe hail damage in 1990. I called my insurance company. They paid for the repairs, less my deductible. This what I paid a premium for. I would never have asked the government for help. The tornado damage would be covered by all homeowners insurance...why would someone not plan for this kind of damage. Katrina was different in that the damage was from flooding which is not covered by homeowners, however, why would someone in the south expect someone in the west to pay for their damage? I feel the government is too much involved in our lives as it is and I don't want them telling me how to rebuild a house.

Chuck said...

MK, they are mostly white in Connecticut...

Brooke, good point on the fact that it's a Dem state

Z, agreed

Lana, welcome and thanks for stopping by. This is the point I was getting at. Local governments need to foot the bill. I can agree that some of the damage in New Orleans was "national" such as the seaport, etc. But for the most part, I think you are right. The people in Michigan (my state) should not be paying for damage in Connecticut just like the people of Connecticut should not pay for storm damage in Michigan.

Karen Howes said...

I second Brooke. Goes to show how Obama kicks even loyal supporters in the face.

Chuck said...

Karen, agreed

Phill Senters said...

Look at recent polls in Connecticut and you just might find another reason.

Chuck said...

Phil, hadn't seen them. I'll look it up. Drop back with a link if you have one