Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I want One Of These


The two-seater Transition can use its front-wheel drive on roads at ordinary highway speeds, with wings folded, at a respectable 30 miles per gallon. Once it has arrived at a suitable take-off spot - an airport, or adequately sized piece of flat private land - it can fold down the wings, engage its rear-facing propellor, and take off. The folding wings are electrically powered.

Its cruising speed in the air is 115mph, it has a range of 460 miles, and it can carry 450lb. It requires a 1,700-foot (one-third of a mile) runway to take off and can fit in a standard garage.


Would this be cool or what?

Right now I can't even think of a practical use for it, it would just be fun.

6 comments:

cube said...

This will do until I get the jet pack that I have wanted all of my life.

Greywolfe said...

I'll go you one better. Since the 1980's I've been following a company called Moller Industries.

www.moller.com

They've got a vtol aircraft designed for the everyday person. You've seen that commercial for the travel site with the hovercraft? Moller sells them. It was their first attempt. Pretty cool stats. Comparable to the lear jet, but you can park it in your driveway, wal-mart, etc. It also is highway legal.

FAA is dragging their feet on new rules for them. it's the only thing keeping them from going to the open market.

Leslie said...

Excellent. Practical use #119: Traffic avoidance. :)

Z said...

You can't think of a practical USE? Come live in THE LOS ANGELES TRAFFIC!! I WISH I could get one of these! :-)

Chuck said...

Cube, had a felling you would like it

Greywolfe, actually I have always wanted to build my own hovercraft

Leslie, good point.

Z, I have never been to LA. I just went through Cincinnati and Atlanta though, they were fun

Mustang said...

Well, you can't have one young man ... not until you fix our economy.