Thursday, September 16, 2010

Try Telling This Girl How Idiotic Adults Can Be


Girl, 6, Removed From Cheerleading Team After Parents Object to 'Booty' Cheer

Personally I'm not a big fan of cheer leading, especially in girls this young. With that said, it is good to see parents getting their kids involved in something and not letting them sit around and be couch potatoes. Finally, even as mean spirited and stick in the mud that I am, these kids are kind of cute trying to do sports like cheer leading, football, etc.

This girl is getting more than exercise though, she's getting an important life lesson - people are idiots.

A Michigan couple is crying unsportsmanlike conduct after their 6-year-old daughter was removed from a flag football cheerleading team because they complained that one of the team's chants was too risqué.

Jennifer and Duane Tesch, of Madison Heights, say their daughter, Kennedy, was unanimously voted off of the Madison Heights Wolverines flag football cheerleading team during a team meeting Tuesday night. The meeting was held to discuss concerns the Tesches voiced last month regarding one of the team's cheers:

"Our backs ache, our skirts are too tight, we shake our booties from left to right."

But instead of seeing their concerns with the cheer resolved, the Tesches saw their little girl booted from the team.


This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. My wife and I have gone to many school sporting events from elementary school through middle school to high school and college.

There have been times in which we have been a little disturbed at what they have the younger girls do and say while cheer leading. We were at a middle school event in which the girls were doing cheers that would have gotten a second glance in high school.

I find it sickening that some adults want to sexualize young girls.

You go to your local Walmart or Target and see some of the clothes they sell for young girls. Some of these clothes will not be going out of the house on my daughter when she is in high school.

My wife is particularly upset with pants and shorts for young girls that have writing on the rear end. (Note to anyone reading this - looking at my young daughters behind, writing or not is a poor choice if I catch you).

I am not sure what is causing this. Whether it is a push by the left to finish degrading any morals our society has left. An attempt by mothers to recapture lost high school years and living through their daughters. Inattentive parents.

Which ever it is, it does not fly in our house.

I salute these parents for taking a stand for their daughter and society. I feel for this young lady who has to see the ugliness of adulthood so young. To the parents that voted this child off of the team, shame on you. Grow up and act older than the girl you booted.

12 comments:

cube said...

Not that I approve of cheerleading, but wouldn't it have been more prudent to change the moronic cheer to something more appropriate?

As the mother of two teenaged girls, I have struggled with the very same issues which you mentioned.

I don't know what forces are driving it, but the movement to sexualize children has been around for years and is only getting worse.

Whatever happened to letting children be children?

I always told my girls that they'd have their whole lives to be women, but only precious few years to be girls. Enjoy being a kid.

Euripides said...

The hypersexualization of children comes from adopting the ideal that morality is whatever the dominant culture says it is. If there is no longer any good, then there can no longer be any evil.

What bugs me about this story, besides making little girls into grown ups, is the complete lack of judgment on the part of the adults in charge of the cheer team. They should be flogged.

cube said...

I know these parents objected to the lyrics of this particular cheer and I agree about that, but I don't have a high opinion of people who would let their six year old even be on a cheerleading squad.

I'd rather my little girl play in her back yard at six. Honestly. What is the hurry?

Euripides said...

You've got a point Cube, six year old cheerleading already points to hypersexualization of children.

Gramma 2 Many said...

Gotta agree with all of you and throw in my two cents worth concerning little girls in dance class. Have you experienced the same behavior in dance class? We stopped attending recitals in our community because of some of the dances the girls were doing. My husband say they are training them to be little hookers.
I am afraid that the days of playing in the back yard are almost history.
Footnote: I have a daughter who has moved to the bush in Alaska, currently in Bethel. She said the other day she is so happy to be out of the city environment where everything was planned and scheduled. Her kids now go outside and play with no fear of bad things happening to them. Growing up the way we did:) They only had to worry a little about the Polar Bears when they were living in Kotzebue:)

Chuck said...

Cube,

I always told my girls that they'd have their whole lives to be women, but only precious few years to be girls. Enjoy being a kid.

This is really the bottom line. They can wait another 4 or 5 years to grow

Your follow comment is also dead on. It's the same with beauty pageants, etc.

Eurpides, well put and I would be okay with flogging

Gramma, I envy your daughter living in Alaska. As far as the Polar bears, don't worry - Algore says they'll all be dead in a few years. Plus it seems, based on pictures they keep showing in the media, they are all trapped on icebergs anyways.

Randy said...

I completely agree with you especially about watching what your daughters wear. I was a single dad of a 15 yr old & 13 yr old girl and had to help buy clothes for them for 2 years. What a mess! It was hard to find clothes I considered in good taste.

However, I have one complaint. In this post, you show good morals and protection for your little ones, but in the previous post you used profanity. Would you approve of their use of those terms? If not, why would you use them>

cube said...

Gramma2Many: You are right about the dance recitals. There seems to be a pandemic of 'adults' who don't know how to make level headed decisions about what is appropriate for children and what is not.

When did common sense go out of style?

Euripides said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Euripides said...

Witnessed an extraordinarily unfortunate, and related, incident last night at the local high school football game. The visiting team pom line dressed their (underage) teen girls in quite inappropriate costumes. One of the girls experienced severe costume failure and showed a little too much torso to a crowd of several thousand parents and students. I felt so badly for the girl. What an embarrassment!

Maybe the adult supervisors need to rethink the whole cheer/costume/appropriateness issue? Is that too much to ask the adults to act like grown ups?

Mustang said...

Chuck, as you know, I taught high school for 15 years. At the outset, let me say that cheerleading is one of the more dangerous functions any student can become involved with. Young ladies injured usually suffer very serious and life-long injuries. That said, the cheerleaders I observed were dressed and behaved as if they were the main menu. There was never any question but that the “cheer routines” were sexual in orientation, which is exactly what hormonally supercharged teenage boys need; more encouragement. Now of course, this isn’t a problem for most parents whose daughters “cheer lead.” For the most part, their mothers are reliving their teenage years through their children, which is sick enough. Take a gander at the mothers of these so-called young ladies (emphasis on the phrase so-called) and see how they’re dressed. Should anyone object to the routines, the costumes, the chants … well, the boosters will circle their wagons (as they did in this story). No principal will touch this problem short of a situation involving the gang rape of a cheerleader by the first string of the senior football squad. It is but one example (of several hundred) of systemic dishonesty in American public schools, from one coast to another, from the Canadian border to Mexico. There are NO exceptions. Did you think for even one moment that the Texas Cheerleading Murdering Mom was a fictional account?

Chuck said...

Randy, you make a point on the profanity. I have a tendency to use words I should not at times. I blame part of it as an occupational hazard, it is common place in my job - mostly directed at me. I make no apologies, just an acknowledgement. It is the way I am. No, I do not allow my children to use profanity. Nor do I allow them to smoke, drink alcohol, or carry firearms in public. All things adults are allowed to do in my state of Michigan. Nor do I speak this way in front of my children. This blog is not meant to be for children. I have a belief that adults do things that children are not allowed to do. I don't want this to sound as an attack, just an explanation.

Cube, agreed. They have a festival of the arts in Grand Rapids every year. There a re a lot of children dance groups at it. Many are cute, some stray a little

Euripides, good point. Part of the responsibility is not jut to supervise but protect. This is a case in which this girl was not protected by the adults responsible for her.

Mustang, not much to add. You are right on the dangers of cheer, it is the most dangerous high school sport for injuries. I have seen more cheer leaders backboarded in my ER than football players. None that I have seen have been seriously injured yet but it is not the fault of their coaches, just dumb luck.