Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Salute To "Fashion Has Heart"

We have a three week indoor and outdoor art show in Grand Rapids that is in it's 4th year.

My wife, kids, and I were downtown walking around visiting the exhibits this past weekend when we wandered into a shop that said it was one of the venues.

The shop turned out to be quite unique.

Their mission statement summed it up best:

 [Fashion Has Heart] aims to benefit wounded soldiers through utilizing the mediums of fashion, art, and design.

What they do is pair up a wounded soldier with an artist. The two collaborate and design artwork that is unique and special to the soldier. They then incorporate this art into t-shirts, hoodies, posters, etc that the shop sells to benefit the soldiers.

While I was walking around the shop I noticed a Michigan map on the wall with markers scattered about the map. One of the staff saw me looking it over and pointed to a row of dogtags hanging from a wire stretched across one of the street view windows.There was one dog tag for each marker on the ma, each representing a soldier from Michigan who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Check out their site:

fashionhasheart.org/

and joining me in a salute to their efforts.


4 comments:

Brooke said...

That's a pretty cool idea!

Z said...

and very sad

cube said...

I'd rather give money to causes that help veterans and their families than ones with questionable motives.

Chuck said...

Brooke and Z, I agree

Cube, they seemed legit and well intentioned.

I am not endorsing them, I just found it fascinating.

I think the real benefit here was not for any greater good they were doing but for the men themselves. I did not go into a lot of detail but they had stories about each of the men. The whole process seemed very therapeutic to them.

I will admit that they noted on their home page that they contribute to the HuffPo. This gave me pause. As I said though, the men they worked with did seem to benefit...