Sunday, November 11, 2012

Quote Of The Week

I know. I said I was going to stay away. This quote just sucked me back in though. I could not resist.

 “I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.”

 Rodney Booker

Source

This was said at a job fair in Chicago in which people waited in line to apply for city jobs only to find out that they actually had to apply on line, the fair was just for info and job skills.

Further, I will say I sympathize with Mr Booker a bit in that the city did not make this clear in advertising the fair. It does sound like it was poorly planned.

Take the quote in total though. "They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something."

Does this sum up the 2012 election or what? He was at a free jobs fair in which the worst he was going to do was hear descriptions about city jobs and get help with resume building, etc.

Have we become a society in which even free is not good enough anymore?

We have a sizable portion of the population that not only does not pay taxes, they get a tax return on the taxes they do not pay. We give tax cuts to people who do not pay taxes. Sadly though, this is viewed by many as an unfair tax system for the poor.

I have said previously that the infamous "Obama phone lady" was the poster child for the 2012 election. Sadly she is not alone, she has legions behind her.

We could even see in the near future an even more amusing electoral phenomenon.

Obama has been widely criticized by the left for not being liberal enough. I am a little unclear on how liberal you have to be if you believe this but I have seen liberal trolls at other blogs saying this (yes, I am talking about a certain fowl).

Could we be headed to a time when even Democratic politicians will be held accountable by voters for not giving enough stuff away? Is this the new standard for a large portion of our country?

I have often used the slippery slope analogy, often for abortion, gay marriage, etc. I think it is a real and insidious progression of societal attitudes and mores.

Are we at a point in which the entitlement mentality is so pervasive that someone as fiscally far left as Obama will not be able to satisfy voters? Will we see liberal politicians out-giving each other?

The most relevant quote for all of this is from Alexander Fraser Tytler (often mistakenly attributed to Alexander Hamilton or Thomas Jefferson).

 “A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the people discover they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that democracy always collapses over a loose fiscal policy--to be followed by a dictatorship.”

Is this where we are headed?

9 comments:

Brooke said...

Cradle to grave, and spoiled at that!

I think that more and more Americans are going to simply start to give up; to join this entitlement mentality. What has punching a clock (if they can find one to punch) gotten them? More people leeching?

I don't think Americans want to be dependent, but I do think Obama is creating an environment of futility. Do I work my ass off for peanuts, or do I swallow my pride and get what everyone else is getting?

This is a bad time for our country!

cube said...

That quote tells me that free government cheese isn't enough for some... now they want to be paid to eat it. Sheesh. This will get really ugly when the money runs out.

Chuck said...

Brooke, time to get ours huh? I don't think we will. More and more may bit there are still a few of us with integrity and pride.

Cube, This will get really ugly when the money runs out.

Give the lady a cigar. This is when the real fun starts.

Always On Watch said...

Have we become a society in which even free is not good enough anymore?


YES!

We live in "America" now -- not in America.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Chuck said...

AOW, agreed

Z said...

that quote is astonishing...and amazing. And emblematic of the new "America"...
horrible!

Happy Thanksgiving, Chuck...we've just got to keep optimistic and keep on keepin' on......what a world!

xx Z

Right Wing Theocrat said...

The level of ignorance and stupidity amongst the masses on basic economics is astounding.

I think we need to get to the point where the government has to start decreeing free BMWs for people, because they deserve it you meanies.

Only when the whole house comes crashing down and an old cabbage costs 12 million dollars [Zimbabwe style] will people start waking up to themselves.

Chuck said...

Z, agreed and Happy Thanksgiving to you too

MK, agreed on all points. It will take a compete melt-down of the economy for change.